"Im considering becoming a brother"
The transition from Aspirancy to Postulancy begins after a period of regular accompaniment, when the Aspirant expresses a desire to take the discernment process further by living in a Marist Brothers’ community and by entering into the different elements of the Postulancy program. These include:
- developing a closer relationship with Jesus
- showing evidence of openness and generosity
- being attracted to the charism (spirit) of Marcellin Champagnat
- developing certain Marial attitudes and values
- showing an aptitude for living in community and engaging in Marist ministries
Once the request is supported by the Director of Vocations, the Aspirant is advised to put his request in writing to the Provincial. The Provincial will reply to the Aspirant in writing, acknowledging his request, welcoming him into the Postulancy Program.
The Postulancy is normally a six to twelve month formation experience, offering the Postulant the opportunity for prayer, ministry, study, community living and ongoing discussions about his Marist faith journey. After appropriate discernment, the Postulant may then apply to enter the Novitiate.